Sunday, February 23, 2014

Dungeonslayers Game Session #1




As I mentioned in my previous post it was my plan to get a proper game going of Dungeonslayers RPG. I was hoping to give it a try at a local game shop to introduce some new players to the system. But I was unable to get time out of my busy week, last week, to see if we can get a free game table from the hordes of Magic the Gathering ( or insert card came here) attendees. Generally speaking it may not have been that hard - but I just decided to enlist a few fellow gamers over to the house this afternoon for a try-out. To my luck there was a player invited that had never played a tabletop game before which was great.

We played a Dungeon2Go one-sheet adventure (No. 8 The Mistress of Spider Mountain) and it was killer. Though I did find a few tweaks that I would change. In fact the adventure is going to be a two-part session due to some long combat sessions with some Monstrous Spiders that just didn't want to die (ie. lots of high attack rolls and low defense rolls) It was just one of those things really...

Even better news is we had all three new players making CTN rolls in no time. The concepts are easy to grasp and just simple and fast. Slayerpoints were a total hit with the players that were accustomed to RPGs as well as myself - it added spice and made the game play unique. Slayerpoints are an optional rule that you can add to combat. A player earns a slayerpoint for every time he/she inflicts damage to an opponent. These slayerpoints can be collected through the course of the the encounter and cashed in to receive perks, bonuses, and mulligans.

I think one thing I might look at is how we can add good RP to the use of each slayerpoint spend. Such as having the players describe their special action, or even myself do the description as to the how/why this special bonus occurred. But I will have to give that more thought and perhaps see if other DS GM's have tried this in some way as well.

Even though this was a real hack-n-slash dungeon crawl they all seemed to dig it and understood that this was probably a good way to learn the system. Once the players finish this adventure I hope to get the real campaign rolling. :)

I also want to give a thank you to Dextolen on the Slayerforums for his DS Placemat creation. I printed these on card stock paper and gave them to each player as a crucial quick reference it was a godsend.

Here are some quick and dirty photos of the session. (sorry I was really to busy to take nice and arts-y photos) Please also forgive the Pathfinder paper counters too. :) They are handy as hell.






No comments:

Post a Comment